the author’s brief bio and professional statement

Hiya. I am Alisa Apreleva, PhD, MT-BC, NMT, music therapist, singer, neuromusicology researcher and storyteller, community singing coach, based in Oxford, UK. This is an introduction entry, brief and sweet - just so you know what to expect reading this blog. Please do share your thoughts in the comments: I’d appreciate if this is a conversations rather than my monologue. Cheers!


What dreams may come


When I was six and a well-meaning adult would ask me what I wanted to be, I answered without hesitation: “I am going to be a doctor. And in the evenings I am going to sing in the circus”. The inquisitor would laugh, my mom would sigh, everyone present would usually agree about me being a very imaginative child, then proceed with their business of being sensible. 


Black and white photo of the author as a young girl with a hen and a dog

“I am going to be a doctor. And in the evenings I am going to sing in the circus”


Quarter of a century forward (ugh!) - and, after curious and educational spells in forensic linguistics, journalism, music performance, clinical depression, film scoring and full time parenting, I, finally, am practicing what my young imagination preached. I am a professional music therapist. Healing and entertaining - mostly by means of singing to and with people I barely know - is what I do day to day, dawn till dusk. Now, who is the last one laughing?



What do music therapists do exactly? (brief meme analysis)


There is an old meme shared among music therapists on social media. The meme consists of several plates, each with a brief text above it. 

The first reads: “What my friends think I do”. The picture below shows a friendly bearded man with a guitar surrounded by a bunch of elementary school kids with ukuleles and hand drums. 

The second one reads: “What society thinks I do”, and depicts two adolescents in matching t-shirts lounging on an IKEA sofa with two electric guitars. The third is signed: “What academics think I do”. The corresponding picture is a long-haired nymph in a beautifully flowing, golden-yellow dress dancing in the forest at dawn. Ouch. 

The fourth makes me giggle every single time I happen to see this meme. It depicts Our Lord Jesus Christ healing a child by laying His hands on said child’s forehead. The child sits in his mother’s lap, both their faces full of nearly-desperate hope, and the whole atmosphere is utterly solemn. The signature reads: “What my clients think I do”. Mind you, I am a religious person. But the image really hits home, and so I laugh, forgive me Lord.

The fifth picture is a brain surgery. It is signed: ‘What I think I do’. Umm… totally. 

The final picture is the Doris Day one-woman band, complete with a polka dot outfit and a megaphone. Apparently, this is “What I actually do”.


Music therapy "What people think I do" meme as described in the text above


This meme is quite useful here, because it is true. What exactly music therapists do, as well as why and how they do it, remains a mystery for most. The combination of words “music” and “therapy” is usually met with a charitable smile or with exaggerated (and easily extinguished) enthusiasm. The best case scenario - with ginger curiosity.



Practical neuromusicology for dummies everyone


Music therapists are rare, yet extremely handy beasts. You want to have one on your team. We play all kinds of music for and with all kinds of people. We support our clients through psychological crises, physical pain, learning disabilities and neurological disorders in all kinds of settings - from childbirth suites and kindergartens to burn hospitals and senior daycare centers. We stay abreast of the current research on music, psychology, neurophysiology, pedagogy, as well as in cultural and social issues. We know how to move a hopelessly stalled conversation safely along and how to turn a silly joke into a transcendental experience. 


In short, music therapists are professional experts on all things music and all the ways it affects humans. (And plants. And, yes, cows)


In short, music therapists are professional experts on all things music and all the ways it affects humans. (And plants. And, yes, cows). Along the way, music therapists often become knowledgeable in random music-related matters which regular folks may find quite useful or, at least, marginally amusing.  


Why does listening to sad music make me feel so good?

Is it true that I fail my child in the womb if I provide no daily Mozart sessions? (What about Bach? Björk? Billy Eilish? Stratovarius?) 

Do they really manipulate music to make us buy more stuff at H&M? 

Does playing a musical instrument make you smarter?

Which song is the most relaxing one? 

Why, oh why do I despise my recorded voice so? (And what do I do to make it sound human?)

What is all that buzz about music and Alzheimer’s? Is it for real? 

Does classical music cure cancer?

Does my dog need a playlist? (Thank you, Spotify)

And, finally, how the heck do I get rid of that Ed Sheeran chorus which has been stuck in my head for the past three hours?



What this blog is about


I hold a doctoral degree in music therapy (yes, there is such a thing). When I am not making music, I teach, present at conferences, train music volunteers, fundraise or speak (and sing) at community workshops about everyday benefits of music. Naturally, people tend to ask me a lot of questions. These questions often lead to discoveries I would never have made otherwise. I thought I’d rather start writing those down. 

This blog is to be a growing collection of the most frequently asked, most challenging, most annoying, most unexpected and most fascinating questions I have been asked as a music therapist. It is the result of many conversations with patients, students, colleagues, mentors, journalists, security officers and fellow elevator travelers who were curious enough to notice the musical instruments sticking out of my backpack. Thank you all.


This blog is to be a growing collection of the most frequently asked, most challenging, most annoying, most unexpected and most fascinating questions I have been asked as a music therapist. 


I promise to do my best to make the information accessible - and fun to read. For those who dislike fun, are British or who are simply having a random nerdy day, there are scientific sources and references included. You are welcome. 


___

Written by Alisa Apreleva





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

native american flute for music relaxation

our programmes: Sing2Gather

our programmes: Songs4Comfort